Now that I know that this gift has arrived safely in its birthday boy recipient’s little hands, I can finally show off my (er, Colden’s) toddler backpack!
This project was so. much. fun.
The pattern is from Made By Rae. I knew I had to try it the minute I saw it on her blog. I bought the pattern almost immediately. I bought the fabric a few days later — I love the sweet, colorful, happy pattern. It seemed like a great fit for a creative little boy. It wasn’t until later that I realized that the Bremen Town Musicians had other significance, too: Colden’s mom, Kendra, and I first became friends while acting in a children’s theatre production of Bremen Town Musicians during our first years of high school!
So, anyway, I promptly ordered the perfect pattern and the perfect fabric, and then they sat. And sat. And sat.
There were a few things that intimidated me a little about the pattern. I called for a zipper, and I’d never sewn on a zipper before. It also requires pipping, another thing that I’d not only not tried, but also heard bad, hard, frustrating things about.
So, I made a practice bag with fabric left over from another project. Thanks to some fancy feet handed down by mother-in-law, attaching the pipping turned out to be a breeze. The zipper, it turned out, was even easier.
My downfall was not lining up the pieces on the bottom of the bag very well, and the seams started pulling apart, revealing the quilt batting that’s used to pad the bottom, within a day. No problem: that’s why I practiced on throw-away material first!
I also thought the trial bag was a little too flimsy, even though I’d added some light interfacing. So I used some slightly stiffer interfacing the second time around. I wish I knew what type it was (it was leftover from another project — this little bag didn’t need much), because it was the perfect weight: it helped the bag keep it’s shape without making it too stiff.
I also added a pocket to the front, along with a little bit of velcro to keep it closed.